- 19th Tuesday 2013
- Articles from Professionals
By: Asif Ismail
Execution is critical to success. Execution represents a disciplined process or a logical set of connected activities that enables an organization to take a strategy and make it work. Without a careful, planned approach to execution, strategic goals cannot be attained. Developing such a logical approach, however, represents a formidable challenge to management.
There are seven essential behaviors that form the first building block of execution:
- - Know your people and your business.
- - Insist on realism.
- - Set clear goals and priorities.
- - Continuous follow up of work and reminders with time frame is most important.
- - Reward for doers.
- - Expand people’s capabilities.
- - Daily report of work.
Leadership demands execution…
“Leadership without the discipline of execution is incomplete and ineffective. Without the ability to execute, all other attributes of leadership become hollow”
Output of work is everything…
Many managers are comfortable planning, but lag when it comes to actually putting the plan into action.
Challenges of execution:
- 1. Developing a model to guide execution decisions or actions.
- 2. Understanding how the creation of strategy affects the execution of strategy.
- 3. Managing change effectively, including culture change.
- 4. Understanding power or influence and using it for execution success.
- 5. Developing organizational structures that foster information sharing, coordination, and clear accountability.
- 6. Developing effective controls and feedback mechanisms.
- 7. Knowing how to create an execution-supportive culture.
Whoever does work, makes mistakes as well…
Benchmark for Execution and Success
[Vision – planning + action = Labour]
[Vision + planning – action = Dreaming]
[Vision + planning + action = Achiever]
Execution paces everything. It enables you to see what’s going on in your organization. It’s the best means for change and transition. Execution will help a business leader to choose a more robust strategy. Your know-how of the discipline of execution will be a competitive advantage and you will generate better results by getting appropriate follow up and completion of the assigned tasks.
Don’t work hard…work smart!